Sunday, July 25, 2010

Food Glorious Food!

I don't know what it is but I really enjoy taking photos of food. Fresh produce, something I made at home, eating out, or at a street fest.   There is something very artistic about the way it looks.  If I could only capture the smell.


I am not a picky eater except I don't like cake or most sweets which I don't know where I got that since both my parents love sweets.  I will eat almost anything once.  I once ate monkey brains while on a trip in Europe, snails, alligator, frogs legs and shark.  Whether its in my car, on my bike, sitting at the beach I love the smells coming from restaurants, peoples homes or BBQ. Though I don't like the smell of Korean food or some Eastern European food.  I guess its a acquired smell.


We had a round table when I was growing up so my deaf sister could try and follow our conversations.  It reminded me of the Brady Bunch. As a family we almost always ate our meals together.  I wasn't a big fan of my mom's cooking (sorry mom) so I would give the dog my food or move it around my plate looking like I was done. "Can't leave the table till your all done."
I think my nieces in Australia adopted my tactic.  During Lent on Fridays we couldn't eat meat so my mom made fish sticks with macaroni and cheese or cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  I love my mom's Thanksgiving when the house would smell so amazing.  Turkey, my grandmothers dressing, monkey bread, yams, cranberries and mashed potatoes with home made gravy.  It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

I have favorite foods I could eat all the time.  Chips and dip, really good pizza, cheese, bread, fresh strawberries, corn on the cob...the list could go on.


Going to the farmers markets in the summer is the best! There is one here in Chicago called Green City Market that is supposed to be one of the best with lots of organic produce, meats, cheeses and breads.


Green
City Market
Family selling produce off the back of their truck


I think food really is the ritual of life.  We gather with friends and family to share something that comes from the earth made with love.  We eat to give us comfort, energy, and nourishment to keep us alive.  I can think of nothing better than sharing a meal with my friends or family! 

2 comments:

  1. The farmer's market really is the best. For some reason when I cook with produce purchased there I feel so much more accomplished. Like I worked for my food!

    I could eat chips and dip all the time too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's alright Amy. I forgive you for the comment about my cooking. I learned a little from my mom and Grandma Peurrung for some things but know some of the meals I was not crazy about. Thanks for the good comments that you loved the Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete