Sunday, May 2, 2010

Music is My Passion

I've always been very passionate about music and it gets me through some difficult times.  It lifts me up and makes me smile.  It puts me in the mood when I clean the house or drive around in my car doing errands singing and playing it really loud. It enables me to have a really good cry too.  Music reminds you of times in your life good or bad but it strikes memories that make you feel something.  Its funny I got some post on facebook recently from some high school friends who remember me driving them around in the big station wagon I drove listening to 8 tracks of REO or ELO.  Was nice that they remembered that after all these years. 

The first time I DJ at college radio station KJHK I was so scared I would mess up but once I found all this music I could play I loved it. There is no better feeling of cuing up a record and taking requests knowing you were making people happy who were listening.  When I went to some of my first shows in college I was blown away about how much talent these bands had and skipped studying for a test to see the Pixies when their first album came out.

When I worked at the music store when I first moved to Chicago I used to drag my friend John to a lot of shows because I would get free tickets.  We saw a lot of great shows together.  I loved working at the record store  getting exposed first hand to new music and getting lots of free promos didn't hurt either.

I remember my nieces in Australia when we saw an outdoor show of a band they loved getting them up close to the front and seeing how exciting it was for them to see a band so close was really fun for me to get to share that memory with them.  I got to go to a Red Rocks in Denver a few years ago with my friend Anna. I always dreamed of going there since I saw the U2 live in Red Rocks video on MTV in the 80's.  It was a magical night of seeing the bands The Black Keys and My Morning Jacket up in the mountains overlooking Denver on a clear crisp full moon evening. 

I still love discovering new music and going to live shows.  I have so many memories of my life and the music I was listening to at the time.  A first kiss, a new boyfriend, a breakup,  a road trip, a festival of music, a wedding, a funeral, a small dinner party, a birthday, a dance or a great party.  I hope music can continue to inspire and make memories of my life and I hope I can continue to share those memories with the people  I love. I recently saw a show where it was so good it gave me goosebumps.  I love when that happens.  It makes me feel lucky to be alive!

3 comments:

  1. I am so right there with you Amy! Music is so incredibly powerful and evokes such strong emotion and memories. I simply couldn't live without it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember that!! so much fun!! my first ever concert!! :D :D
    love you amy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you remember or if I told you but my first job was at a small family-owned "Framing store". They also decided to sell records (45's back in 1954). I did get first chance to buy the top records of my time! I've saved some of our "33's" albums from the 50's and 60's. Check them out when you are here!

    ReplyDelete